Sunday 7 April 2013

Homestyle Creamed Corn

Ingredients:
2&1/2 cups of fresh corn kernels (uncooked) straight from the cob (roughly 5 cobs)
The reserved 'corn milk' produced when slicing the corn from the cob
1/2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. real butter, melted
1 cup (8 oz.) double (heavy) cream
1/2 tsp. (heaped) coarse sea salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper

I can't claim full ownership of this recipe, but I thought that a few people I know might like to know how to do this.  I've always loved creamed corn.  It's available in America & in some Asian countries where it is used in chicken & sweetcorn soup, etc.  Years ago I introduced my husband to it when we found it in an Asian import shop in town.  He loved it, but it was really pricey & not always available.  We haven't been able to find it for about 5 years & I was really craving it, so I looked up how to do it from scratch.  This is the recipe I found, but with just a couple of really minor changes.  I cut the amount of sugar from 1 tablespoon to half a tablespoon & I reduced the amount of pepper from half a teaspoon to a quarter of a teaspoon.  I also heaped the half a teaspoon of salt.  Some people prefer their creamed corn rather sweet, I always wanted it to be a little more buttery & savoury.  It's really a thing that should be done to each person's taste, so taste as you go & add salt, pepper & sugar accordingly.  I can't believe how easy & quick this was.  I had some pre-packed fresh corn on the cob that I had frozen, so I just thawed it & used it.  It was so easy!

Method:
Start by making sure all of your corn cobs are very well shucked.  It's easier to pick the silk hairs off the cob than to pick them out of a pile of corn or out of your final mixture.  With a sharp knife, slice all of the corn kernels from the cob until you have 2 &1/2 cups worth (just a tip - I ran a couple of ounces shy & used some loose frozen corn to make up the difference, which worked fine.  I suspect you could used either canned or frozen corn in a pinch, but taking it from the cob gets you the corn milk, which adds to the flavour).  You will notice the 'corn milk' squirting from the cob as you slice down it with the knife.  Reserve this too, as it will be used.  I sliced it all on a plate instead of a chopping board in order to preserve the milk.  Once this is done, pour the corn & corn milk into a medium bowl.  Add the flour, sugar & melted butter to the corn & stir around until well mixed & coated.  Pour this mixture into a deep non-stick skillet or wok & put on a medium heat.  Stir often for 5 minutes.  Next, add the 8 ounces of double cream & cook on a medium low heat for a further 10-15 minutes, stirring often.  Add the salt & pepper during this process.  
It's as simple as that.  The entire thing was done in 25 minutes & it made a very large amount - more than you would get out of a can.  As for taste, there's no comparison.  The canned version tastes canned & is made with evaporated milk & too sweet in my opinion.  This is the freshest nicest taste you can imagine.  It tasted so good that I didn't have the heart to put it into the corn pudding I had planned on making with it.  Instead we're going to enjoy it as a stand alone side dish.  Even if I could get the canned kind, I never would again after trying this.



No comments:

Post a Comment